Monday, June 29, 2009

The White House


The Green Room
(picture found online)

Last week, through our office, I was able to go on a tour of the East wing of the White House. I was really excited, as I imagined it would be beautiful inside. The wait to get a tour was extremely long, since weeks in advance, they preform a background check on every guest. But all of our interns and I passed :) and were ready to go see what it was all about.

After security, we walked into the East Wings doors (its a self guided tour) and were......underwhelmed. In fact, the whole tour was underwhelming. It really seems to be nothing at all, it is way over played. We only got to see three rooms! 3 rooms! And there were so many people, we were clumped together and moving at a snails pace. Maybe I am spoiled in that I get to see the ins and outs of the Capitol, but I feel like the White House touring staff could organize the tour into something that is more effective and powerful.

The rooms that I saw were the Green Room, a red room (I forget its name), and the State Dinner Room. All three were beautiful and elegant, each containing amazing history. However, the stupid visitors were so loud and rude! One visitor actually had the guts to reach across the ropes and touch an oil painting! On the canvas! I couldn't believe the complete disregard for rules or lack of manners.

Over all, the idea of being in the White House is great! However, it took 40 min to get through three rooms because the lack of planning or management from the staff. If you're interested in a tour, the only way to obtain one is through your senator. Each senator has a staffer who's job is to manage White House and Capitol tours. Remember, you need to call and schedule a tour AT LEAST a month before you come to D.C. I suggest the tour only if you are satisfied enough with just the idea of visiting the White House, other than that, it doesn't have much substance as a tour.


P.S. Cameras or any electronics are NOT allowed.

1 comment:

  1. What was done with everyones cell phones? Could they take them?

    ReplyDelete