Monday, June 15, 2009

Roll Call


The Capitol has a slew of daily news papers that are delivered to every office, both the House and Senate side. There is the Congress Daily, Roll Call, and Politico.

The Congress Daily is a summary of what is happening around the Senate and House. Also, it lists all the daily hearings for the different Committees, like the Appropriations, Foreign Affairs, or Energy hearings. It also has daily opinion columns and such.

Politico is almost a gossip newspaper. It appeals to the pop culture associated with life on the Hill. The audience is the young staffer crowd, interns, or employees that are interested in the social scene around Washington D.C. A common theme is, "Where is the Cheapest Food?" I could call it the "Perez Hilton" celebrity gossip website of Politics.
Roll Call is the New York Times, Wall Street Journal, or the CNN of the Capitol Hill newspapers. The topics range from what happened on the Senate floor the previous day to editorials about the GOP. It claims to be, "The Newspaper of Capitol Hill since 1955." It is by far the most intellectual newspaper in that it covers news, opinions, and the happenings of Washington D.C. and national politics.
Today, in the Roll Call, there was quote from Abraham Lincoln which I find influential and inspiring. It reads:
'I do the best I know how, the very best I can, and I mean to keep doing so until the end. If the end brings me out all right, what is said against me won't count; if it brings me out wrong, all the angels swearing that I was right would have made no difference.'
President Abraham Lincoln
(1809-1865)

1 comment: